I took a Kia electric car on a 2,000-mile road trip and here’s what I learned
Vehicle:Kia e Niro
Trip Type:long-distance trip
Distance:2000 miles / 3200 km
A very detailed report from Mat Gallagher, the T3’s Managing Editor. He provides a full stack of details driving in KIA e Niro, on a 2000 mile from Chicago to Boston and back. Provides a strip down version of review of the car and the journey
- The Niro EV has a 239-mile estimated range, It can charge from a regular plug socket or anything up to 100kW fast chargers, allowing to charge up to 80% in just over an hour.
- The crossover SUV design ensures a lot of space inside unlike the dedicated EV
- Charging options: There are fastest chargers with Electrify America chargers, which offer 90kW, 150kW and 350kW options.
- Cost: He paid around $15 to fill to around 80% using a fast charger, which is around $0.33 per kW. According to Niro the average power used is 3.6 miles per kWh, which is around $0.09 per mile.
- Apps used: Apple Maps for CarPlay. The Electrify America app, Tesla and Google Automotive, A Better Route Planner (ABRP)
- Route: Chicago -Niagara falls -Boston – NY-Pennsylvania-Cleveland-Chicago